What is the Titleist Performance Institute?
TPI is the world's leading educational organization dedicated to the study of how the human body functions in relation to the golf swing.
Since its inception in 2003, TPI has studied thousands of golfers ranging from the top professional tour players to weekend enthusiasts. An incredible amount of data on players of all shapes, sizes, ages, and fitness levels has been gathered during this time. Using this data, TPI discovered how a properly functioning body allows a player to swing a golf club in the most efficient way possible. Additionally, TPI has analyzed how physical limitations in a player’s body can adversely affect the golf swing and potentially lead to injury.
TPI’s mission is to educate golfers and industry professionals on the body/swing connection through its one of a kind ‘TPI Certified’ educational program. This program was developed by founders Dr. Greg Rose and Dave Phillips along with a 52 member advisory staff of industry leading experts. Five unique fields of study are offered for TPI Certification: Golf, Medical, Fitness, Power and Junior Development. Currently, there are over 15,000 TPI Certified professionals in 58 countries assisting players of all skill levels. Use this site to find a TPI Certified pro near you.
- TPI seeks to educate golf industry professionals and the playing public on the importance of the body and how it relates to the golf swing.
- TPI believes golfers will benefit the most from a healthy and efficient body.
- TPI does not believe in one way to swing a club, rather in an infinite number of swing styles. But, we do believe there is one efficient way for every player to swing and it is based on what the player can physically do.
- The most efficient swing is not the same for every golfer, because efficiency is unique to their body. To achieve an efficient swing, a golfer must first be screened. This screen involves an assessment of swing mechanics and biomechanics, physical fitness, movement quality, current health and a client history.
- Once this screen is finished, the results are used to create a plan unique for that golfer. The plan may include fitness training, physical therapy and treatment, coaching of swing mechanics and biomechanics, nutrition, mental strategy or all of the above.
- A golfer will see the greatest improvement by surrounding themselves with a team of experts. Similarly, any professional in the golf industry will see their clients benefit most by themselves being part of a network or team of professionals.